Broadcast spreader vs Drop spreader; which one should I go for? As a gardener, one of the crucial tool that you must have is a spreader. Spreaders are used to spread lawn products such as grass seeds, fertilizer, and salt among others on the lawn. There are different types of lawn spreaders on the market but they are broadly categorized into Broadcast and Drop spreaders.
As a new buyer, you will often find yourself in dilemma when it comes to choosing the best lawn spreader that matches your lawn requirements. It’s for this reason that this article will focus on Broadcast spreader vs Drop spreader so as to help you make an informed buying decision.
Broadcast Spreader Vs Drop Spreader
What is a broadcast spreader?
As the name suggests, a broadcast spreader is a gardening equipment/tool that is used to spread grass seeds or fertilizer on lawns randomly in a broader area.
It’s made of a larger hopper that is fitted with a horizontal spinning disk responsible for random spreading of lawn products.
Why should you buy a broadcast spreader over a drop spreader? Let’s look at the pros and cons of broadcast spreaders?
- HOPPER CAPACITY: 130 lbs.; 1/2 acre (25,000 sq. ft.)
- SPREAD WIDTH: 10- 12 ft. spread
- WHEELS: 13″ x 4″ pneumatic tires
- OPERATION: Easy to use direct rod control
- WARRANTY: 3 Year Limited Warrnaty
Last update on 2023-06-26 at 11:39 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Advantages of broadcast spreader
- Broadcast spreaders are faster and gets the job done in less time
- They have a bigger hopper which translates to more capacity compared to drop spreaders. This will save you time spent with frequent refills.
- Broadcast spreaders are convenient to gardeners with large lawns.
Cons of Broadcast spreaders
- They are affected by the prevailing wind conditions and you may not get a uniform spread in your entire lawn
- Lawn products such as seeds and fertilizers can be spread in non-targeted areas like driveways and on rocks leading to unnecessary wastage.
- Due to their operational design, broadcast spreaders are less accurate compared to drop spreaders.
Related; ATV Salt Spreaders
What is a drop spreader?
A drop spreader is designed to use gravity to drop the lawn products in a row accurately. They are ideal for small-medium lawns where no extensive work is required.
The speed of the operator and the spreader holes settings determines the amount of seeds/fertilizer that will be used in a particular lawn.
Why should you buy a drop spreader over a broadcast spreader? Let’s look at the pros and cons of drop spreaders
Advantages of drop spreaders
- Drop spreaders are more accurate when spreading compared to broadcast spreaders.
- Drop spreaders are easy to operate even by beginners
- There is reduced lawn products wastage when using drop spreaders since the seeds/fertilizer are placed at the right locations instead of scattering them in all directions.
Disadvantages of drop spreaders
- Drop spreaders takes a lot of time to spread the lawn and they are only effective on small lawns
- They have smaller hopper compared to broadcast spreader thus, requiring regular refill of lawn products
- Large capacity hopper holds up to 10,000 sq. ft. of Scotts lawn product, including grass seed and fertilizer
- Heavy-duty frame for optimum stability
- 22-inch spread pattern delivers maximum coverage and accuracy
- Fully assembled
- Ready to use and pre-calibrated
Last update on 2021-07-01 at 02:06 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Checkout this YouTube video on Broadcast spreader vs Drop Spreader;
Now that you have understood the pros and cons of broadcast spreader vs drop spreader. There are a few factors that you need to consider when purchasing a lawn spreader which include;
- The intended use
- Your lawn size & shape
- Available time
- Intensity and direction of the wind
Getting a good lawn spreader will make your lawn maintenance work easier. You will be able to maintain a healthy and vibrant lawn.
Here is a Pinterest pin for Broadcast spreader vs Drop spreader!